- Driver does not see the cyclist and makes a left turn
- Driver passes on the left of the cyclist and then makes a right turn into the cyclist’s path
- Driver in a stopped car opens their door into the path of an oncoming cyclist
- Driver enters or exits a driveway or parking lot without first checking for passing cyclists
- Driver strikes a cyclist from behind, usually when traveling around a bend in the road
- Driver makes a left-hand turn without checking for cyclists traveling straight through the intersection
Friday, November 7, 2014
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycles can be a great alternative to driving a car or taking a bus around town. Many cities encourage biking to reduce the number of vehicles on the road, and provide bike lanes to keep cyclists safe as they travel.
Despite cities taking initiatives to try to reduce the number of bicycle accidents, collisions between cyclists and drivers continue to occur each day. And tragically, the majority of these accidents are caused by driver negligence or recklessness.
Understanding the most common causes of bicycle accidents can help cyclists and motorists alike take precautions to prevent these devastating collisions. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents include:
Bicycle accidents often result in serious injuries, so it is imperative that both cyclists and motorists do their part to prevent collisions. Cyclists can help prevent collisions by maximizing their visibility by wearing reflective clothing and attaching lights to their bikes, taking extra precaution when approaching intersections and parking lot entrances, and following all traffic laws. Motorists should constantly be on the lookout for cyclists, check carefully before turning, and make sure that they always share the road with cyclists.
With the increasing popularity of cycling, it is important that motorists and cyclists learn to coexist on the road. If you or a loved one has been harmed in a bicycle accident caused by a negligent motorist, you may be able to seek compensation for your injuries and losses by filing a personal injury claim.
De Castroverde Law Group is a family-run firm that is dedicated to helping accident victims obtain justice, and we can help if you have been injured in the Las Vegas area. Contact our firm to learn about your rights as the victim of a bicycle accident.